Monday, August 29, 2011

U.S. Rep Lynn Jenkins Pittsburg Townhall





Today, Representative Lynn Jenkins (R) came to Pittsburg for a Townhall meeting. Before it began I was between two democrats. One Vietnam Vet that told me he became a democrat because of Nixon, and a woman that told me "At least we didn't have to PAY to get in. The Republicans are charging $30 to get into their townhalls. Or that's what CBS told me." I knew before it began that this might become interesting.

She spent the first few minutes discussing her presentation on the debt and what her and her colleagues are working on. Rep Jenkins said after her presentation, she would take questions and comments. Most of the time during her speech, the woman next to me was either holding her hand up or muttering under her breath things like "fix it" or "you only passed 5 bills". I wanted to ask her how many of those 5 bills did the Senate debate on? But I chose then to be silent. When Rep Jenkins talk was complete, she asked people to line up at the microphone, state your name and ask your question or give your comment. Of course my neighbor to my left popped up, no really she sat to my left! Ha! She was toward the front of the line.

When it came her turn, she asked "Have you considered going back to Eisenhower's Republican tax base of 91% for the rich?" It was cheered by a few in the room... obviously by those who would benefit, not those who would pay. Not sure if she was serious at 91% or just pointing out that a Republican supported a 91% tax rate for the "rich". It is amazing to me that people in America today still think that this is the answer. The best part of the Representative's answer was the first word... No.

Towards the end, my neighbor was still shouting out of turn and mumbling about her opinions and finally after the 3rd time she spoke loudly about the House only passing 5 bills this year, I got the nerve to ask her... "How many of those 5 did the Senate debate and vote on?" You would think I had instead said something like, only 5 ?? That is unacceptable. She looked me in the eye while I asked my question and did not seem to listen to what I was saying. Like just because I was there, well I must be on her side. She never did acknowledge my question. She just nodded at me like I agreed with her.

I left that meeting with 2 main thoughts... #1 is the best way to effectively change the direction of politics and this country is the 2012 election. Nothing will get solved and nothing will get better unless control changes. Please stand up and believe that we are right in our beliefs and that the American people will also begin to understand that the way it is now, simply is not working. And #2 is this... I walked down the sidewalk wondering that IF this was a Democrat that came to speak with us today, would the Republican/Conservatives act as rudely and behave like the Southeast Kansas Democrats did today? Showing very little respect for our congress person and our voice in Washington? I hope not but I am not confident. We have to find a way though. And it always comes down to speaking the truth with confidence and clearness Respectfully. We can do it, we must.




2 comments:

  1. cool. it is up to us to educate the people who hear partial truths from the media. I wish I were there. Some bills are black and white..yes or no. Others are not quite so...and that is where the controversy is. I know it is hard for the legislators to know what is the best strategy, when some of the opposition is so boldly anti-American...whiles others are just the other party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Video from another townhall.... these people just don't get it.

    http://youtu.be/KY2_MiOfjGM

    ReplyDelete