Wednesday, March 24, 2021

This is RACISM or NOT?

"I’ve said, here and elsewhere, that one of the principal benefits of the pandemic is how I’ve been able to exclude racism and blackness generally from my day-to-day life. Over the past year, I have, of course, still had to interact with black people on Zoom or watch them on television or worry about whether they would succeed in preventing a white-supremacist president. But black people aren’t in my face all of the time. I can, more or less, only deal with blackness when I want to. The cops aren’t hunting me when I drive through their neighborhood; their hang-ups aren’t bothering me (or threatening me) when I’m just trying to do some shopping.

That’s because I haven’t been driving or shopping in person. Black people haven’t improved; I’ve just been able to limit my exposure to them. I’ve turned my house into Wakanda: a technically advanced, globally isolated home base from which I can pick and choose when and how often to interact with black people.

The above example IF published in a major American Magazine, would have been immediately been banned, the magazine put out of business, the writer fired and shamed in to oblivion. But below is how it was ACTUALLY published in The NATION magazine. A piece written by Elie Mystal. Now you tell me please how this is NOT racist? It is both enlightening and frightening that there is not outrage from every American on this. But it's a Liberal magazine so I guess they are WOKE enough to escape criticism?


Here is the excerpt from the actual post and the link....  https://www.thenation.com

"I’ve said, here and elsewhere, that one of the principal benefits of the pandemic is how I’ve been able to exclude racism and whiteness generally from my day-to-day life. Over the past year, I have, of course, still had to interact with white people on Zoom or watch them on television or worry about whether they would succeed in reelecting a white-supremacist president. But white people aren’t in my face all of the time. I can, more or less, only deal with whiteness when I want to. Their cops aren’t hunting me when I drive through my neighborhood; their hang-ups aren’t bothering me (or threatening me) when I’m just trying to do some shopping.

That’s because I haven’t been driving or shopping in person. White people haven’t improved; I’ve just been able to limit my exposure to them. I’ve turned my house into Wakanda: a technically advanced, globally isolated home base from which I can pick and choose when and how often to interact with white people." 

No comments:

Post a Comment