Sunday, September 23, 2012

Personal Responsibility is a "Choice"


A Women's Right to Choose, Her Choice and Her Body....

For years I have been trying to develop my theory and opinion about abortion and the "choice" argument.  I understand making abortions illegal is most likely not going to happen. But a goal of having fewer of them should be reasonable to all sides. Having less of them does not mean that women will not have a say in what happens to their bodies but perhaps it does involve having more individual responsibility in the decision making process. Here is my case.

You have a "choice" to wear a seat belt or to not wear one while in a moving car. If an accident happens and severe injuries occur, can you put on a seat belt AFTER the accident to prevent injury?   The choice to avoid more severe injury is made before the car starts moving with the act of clicking that belt. It's the law and the public is generally ok with that law as studies have shown that it does reduce and/or prevent most injuries. I know it's not the best comparison but the emphasis is on the personal responsibility to click the seat belt before moving.

You are a woman or a man (because both have personal responsibility) and are about to have sex and just like you chose to click that seat belt you have a choice to make. You or your partner can use one of many available pregnancy prevention methods. Methods that I believe are available easily at Planned Parenthood locations, Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens, Costco, CVS and virtually every community in America and in some cases, 24 hours a day. You can chose to obtain a pregnancy prevention method before having intercourse. Or you can choose to not have sex until you obtain such prevention. Did I miss anything that personal responsibility won't cover?

I hope you see my point, that is women AND men have a choice at the time of intercourse. There is a choice to be made and my point is that personal responsibility should determine where in the timeline of events is best for the choice to be made? I say before the car accident, you should click your seat belt. In comparison, before you are "punished with a baby" as the President referred to it in speaking about his daughters, there are a number of available choices, including the choice to not have sex at that time. The "women's choice" argument is hard for me to understand unless you include ALL possible choices including the option to not have sex until pregnancy prevention method can be obtained. When the choice is made to continue on with the sex without protection and with the thought, "if something does happen I can always get an abortion" then personal responsibility is ignored but the choice was still made to do so.

That is also where my belief that abortions should be available under situations involving rape, incest  or if the life of the mother is in jeopardy. Again these are options where the woman usually has NO choice due to be in the situation she is in. The choice argument is used as a political tool and I believe that too often it is abused in that manner when common sense should prevail. The choices are there, my trouble is WHEN that choice is made, and the lack of personal responsibility to make that choice at the right time. Accepting personal responsibility or ignoring it, IS a choice. Your choice.

You may not agree with me and that's fine. This is America and you have the right to have different opinions. Both sides need to think hard about this and if there is an argument that contradicts these thoughts, I would love to hear it. I accept my personal responsibility to learn from all points of view, especially those that differ from mine.

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.
Abraham Lincoln

An Alternative "Choice" in Pittsburg :

Vie Medical Clinic
613 N. Broadway Suite C
Pittsburg, KS 66762
620.235.0605
Toll Free: 866.443.0843
Our phone is answered 24 hours.


.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of food for thought. I suppose the first question that comes to my mind is from an extension of your seat belt analogy: does the decision not to wear a seat-belt mean that the person should have to live with results of the accident?

    In other words, should society provide accident victims who weren't wearing safety belts medical treatment or should we make them live with the natural physical consequences of their risky choice to not wear a seat belt?

    If we do decide to provide treatment to people in accidents that engaged in the risky behavior of driving without proper restraint, how is that different that allowing couples or individuals to chose to end the physical result of risky sexual behavior? Each party has engaged in risky behavior and has an option to alter the physical condition that they are in as a result of that behavior.

    As I understand the debate, most of the issue comes down to how people define human life, and that for one side, life begins at conception. Differences in definition have far-reaching consequences for this issue. Does that seem like an accurate understanding?

    Again, not a perfect analogy, but I am curious to hear your thoughts.

    As always, I am interested in being respectful and understanding of other's viewpoints, too. I hope that having this discussion here will mean less likelihood of a trolling flame war, but the fact that a comment has already been deleted dampens my hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worry about the deleted post. It was a weird autobot type of post from a law firm trolling for replies about seat belt injuries. Must have matched their keyword search !! I will not delete on topic comments!

    Your point is a good one. My first thought was to go towards the cost aspects, like if tax payer money should fund medical care for abortions or from injuries from non seat belt usage. That may be a discussion for another day but I understand your point.

    I think I still go back to my personal responsibility argument. I feel that if they take responsibility for not using prevention, then they should take care of the results instead of just making them go away. I know that is a generalized statement but that depends on how you view abortion.

    I am not calling for making abortions illegal exactly, just trying to understand the "choice" argument and how that relates to personal responsibility. But there you may have the difference between Americans lately, understanding or interpreting the phrase personal responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. full disclosure - here is the deleted comment ! =)

    It is very common to have injuries by different ways and those people can get help from lawyer and can get good settlement.

    personal injury attorney milwaukee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahah. I didn't think about autobots- just thought that it was someone flaming the disucssion... you know, using insulting by personal attacks.

    I have to preface the following with the disclaimer that I am no expert in the abortion debate and don't claim to represent more than my own thoughts on the issue. That said:

    I guess the "pro-choice" response to your personal responsibility argument would be that the person is taking responsibility by making it "go away."

    As I understand it, one of the key tenants for the choice argument is that abortions are not immoral. If you accept this preposition, then having an abortion as birth control is a morally acceptable form of taking personal responsibility.

    That is why I am interested in person-hood, because to me, definitions of person-hood are the crux of the issue. At what point is a person a person? For some, you're a person at conception.For others, it's not until much later into the development cycle.

    I don't know of anyone that advocates killing babies, but it seems some people feel that abortion is morally the same thing as killing an infant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the bottom line is morality. But isn't it funny how when we find one cell in a rock on Mars and it is deemed life, but not many cells in the shape of a forming human is not life to some...

      Delete